Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Parenting Idea

Our class today was on Teaching Children Responsibility and Work. It was awesome. I can't begin to give you everything from the class, but I only hope to just give a little bit that can maybe help. I am basically going to just quote her. "We need to start giving our children responsibility and teaching them hard work at a young age. The best time to teach them to work is before the age of 11 years old. The best way to do this is by getting involved and helping them do the work. It will take a lot longer to do the task with them verses just doing it yourself, but we must not let this dictate wether or not we have our children work. The problem with children now days is that we feel like they are worked too hard. When they get home from school we think they need a break because they have been working all day at school when in reality (compared to back in the day) school is more play then work. Don't do all the work while your kids are napping or at school. Save the work and do it with them when they get home. So next time the dishes need unloaded or loaded wait for the chance to teach your children that responsibility. Next time the laundry needs folded wait and do it together with the children. Give them the chance to work hard. We need to do large family projects every few months. (ex. clean garage together, paint a room, do the garden, etc.) Train them to do exactly what you want them to do and show them how to do it. Throughout the week have them do their daily chores, but on Saturday have that be the day they work really hard."

4 comments:

Raquel Koehler said...

CUTE! CUTE! CUTE! I totally love it... You are so creative. I am impressed girlfriend... Keep up the good work.

J. said...

Hey Janell- It's been a while since I've checked your blog. YOur kids are so cute. Thanks for the parenting tips. KEEP em coming

April said...

Thanks for the tips! It always helps to have more ideas, I'll have to try doing this more, I admit, it's easier to do it myself. I don't know how often I'll impliment it, but I really should get better at trying! Love the new picture, your family is so dang cute!

Lisa said...

Cute new picture! Love the ideas for work and responsibility. I have to admit that I don't even like work that much, so this is a hard area for me, but I am going to give it a whirl. Happy Halloween!